Resources for Crime Victims

Planning for your safety can be a dangerous time. Please make sure that you are safe!

Trust your instincts

If you feel you are in immediate danger, call 911 immediately.

Practice Digital Safety

If you think someone is monitoring your devices:

  • Visit this website from a computer, tablet, or smartphone that isn't being monitored.
  • Exit from this website and delete it from your browser history.
  • Learn more about digital safety. Technology Safety Toolkit, provided by the National Network to End Domestic Violence. (Good information for anyone in danger!)

Have a Safety Plan

Our notification systems are an important part of your safety plan. If you don’t have a safety plan, here is some information to get you started.

Learn about the help available to you

There are countless local, state, and national organizations dedicated to helping victims of crime. Here is a partial list to get you started. 

Know Your Rights

If you are a victim of crime in New York State, your rights are protected under New York State law. As a result, there are many things that the courts and law enforcement officers can do to assist you. Know your rights!


Law Enforcement Can:

  • Assist you with finding a safe place, a place away from the violence.
  • Inform you about how the court can help protect you from the violence.
  • Help you and your children get medical care for any injuries you received.
  • Assist you in getting necessary belongings from your home.
  • Provide you with copies of police reports about the violence.
  • File a complaint in criminal court, and tell you where your local criminal and family courts are located.

The Courts Can:

  • Decide to provide a temporary order of protection for you, your children and any witnesses who may request one.
  • Appoint a lawyer to help you if the court finds that you cannot afford one.
  • Order temporary child support and temporary custody of your children.
  • Also, if the person who harmed or threatened you is a relative by blood or marriage, or is someone you’ve had a child with, or is someone with whom you are or have had an intimate relationship, you have the right to take your case to family court, criminal court or both.

New York Law States:

  • If you are the victim of domestic violence, you may request that the officer assist in providing for your safety and that of your children, including providing information on how to obtain a temporary order of protection.
  • You may also request that the officer assist you in obtaining your essential personal effects and locating and taking you, or assist in making arrangements to take you, and your children to a safe place within such officer's jurisdiction, including but not limited to a domestic violence program, a family member's or a friend's residence, or a similar place of safety.
  • When the officer's jurisdiction is more than a single county, you may ask the officer to take you or make arrangements to take you and your children to a place of safety in the county where the incident occurred.
  • If you or your children are in need of medical treatment, you have the right to request that the officer assist you in obtaining such medical treatment.
  • You may request a copy of any incident reports at no cost from the law enforcement agency.
  • You have the right to seek legal counsel of your own choosing and if you proceed in family court and if it is determined that you cannot afford an attorney, one must be appointed to represent you without cost to you.
  • You may ask the district attorney or a law enforcement officer to file a criminal complaint.
  • You also have the right to file a petition in the family court when a family offense has been committed against you.
  • You have the right to have your petition and request for an order of protection filed on the same day you appear in court, and such request must be heard that same day or the next day court is in session.
  • Either court may issue an order of protection from conduct constituting a family offense which could include, among other provisions, an order for the respondent or defendant to stay away from you and your children.
  • The family court may also order the payment of temporary child support and award temporary custody of your children.
  • If the family court is not in session, you may seek immediate assistance from the criminal court in obtaining an order of protection.
  • The forms you need to obtain an order of protection are available from the family court and the local criminal court.
  • The resources available in this community for information relating to domestic violence, treatment of injuries, and places of safety and shelters can be accessed by calling the following 800 numbers.
Resources for Crime Victims

NY Sheriffs’ Victim Service Provider Directory